What is The OpenSOAP Project ?
The OpenSOAP Project is a project which was started with the aim of developing an open source middleware, based on the
SOAP standard, funded by NEDO
(New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization).
The development group consists of universities, colleges and local companies around Sapporo, Japan.
The OpenSOAP package Ver. 1.0 was released in March, 2002.
A new company, Technoface Corporation will take a leading part of The OpenSOAP Project and
will continue to develop and provide OpenSOAP packages.
What is SOAP ?
SOAP is an abbreviation for Simple Object Access Protocol, and is the specification proposed to the
IBM, Microsoft and so on, outlining the RPC messaging mechanism using XML.
This can connect each Web service destributed all over the world and realize the system interconnection.
This allows for connection worldwide distributed Web Services, and provides the system interconnection.
Features of OpenSOAP ?
OpenSOAP is developed on such concepts as:
- Making full use of existing Software properties, thus more easily providing Web services.
- Is available on a variety of platforms.
- Contains Security functions; thus can be used on practical systems.
- Supports the SOAP specifications 1.1 and 1.2, and provides interoperability with other SOAP implementations.
To realize these concepts, OpenSOAP is implemented with the following functions:
- Encryption and Signature functions using PKI(Public Key Infrastructure)
- Async messaging functions
- Message forwarding functions between OpenSOAP servers
- Transaction processing functions
Components of OpenSOAP ?
- OpenSOAP API
- OpenSOAP Server
- CORBA Bridge, DCOM Bridge
- Transaction Service
- Code samples which can be used to construct Web services using OpenSOAP
- * OpenSOAP API
- C and C++ Language libraries required to use OpenSOAP.
These include the applications developed with Java
and code samples for OpenSOAP to use the functions provided by the server services.
As of now, Version 1.0. has been released and tested on many systems.
It has also been confirmed to be make'able and executable
on such platforms as Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Windows2000.
Also supports Ipv6 Transport.
- * OpenSOAP Server
- Server for the original OpenSOAP functions.
Ver. 1.0alpha only supported Linux (and was also checked working on Solaris8)
but on Versions later than 1.0beta2, more platforms including Windows OS, have been supported.
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Webmasters of www.opensoap.jp. All